GlamOfficial


Fashion Styling, Publicity, Social Media Marketing.

You can also advertise with us.

It's all about the glam!

Welcome!!!!

Monday 27 February 2012

#GLAMSPOTLIGHT: KAREN YOUNG

We had the pleasure of sitting for a chat with our devilishly daring writer and had a few questions for her about her writing style and method. Everyone, please meet Karen Eloke Young.

 
When did you first decide that you wanted to write?

I started writing when I was eight years old; I started off with random poetry and then prose. It remained a hobby as I grew older and then I made the decision to make a career off it when I graduated university.

What interests you as a writer?

As a writer I am very interested in books. Apart from the fact that I enjoy reading, I also know that to become a seasoned writer I have to also read the works of other authors.

Excepts from Karen Young's novel
Do you have a typical writing day? If not, when is the best time to write for you?

I really don't have a typical writing day. I write whenever I feel the need to, doesn't matter where I am, the feeling comes upon me. Once I was at a restaurant when I got inspiration for a story and I had to scribble down my idea on a paper napkin.

Which authors inspire you and why?

Stephen King, Wole Soyinka and Dean Koontz have been great sources of inspiration to me as a writer. I especially enjoy Stephen King's dark humour and suspense.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Writing fiction especially, gives me the chance to play God. I can make up whatever I want; places, people, and actions. I get to decide what character lives or dies and it gives me immense pleasure to capture my readers' imagination and mold it.

Excepts from Karen Young's novel

And the worst?

The worst is the 'writer's block' and the income. In Nigeria especially, writers find it difficult to make enough money to become totally dependent on their writing earnings; the only thing that keeps most going is their passion for the art.

What are you working on now?

I am currently working on a collection of short stories titled "The book about nothing". It has been a long process but I look forward to seeing it in print.

Do you have a dream project you would love to write?

Yes. I would love to write something educational for university students, I have a B.A degree in International studies and Diplomacy and it is something other than fiction that I am very interested in.

Excepts from Karen Young's novel
What are your top three tips for aspiring writers?

Keep at it, never give up on your dream. Read, read and read, you can never learn except you read. Also make sure you take time out everyday to write at least two pages, practice makes perfect.

If you’d like to contact Karen Young please follow the link: http://twitter.com/#!/MissKarenYoung

3 comments: